One of Malta’s most historic forts is throwing open its doors to the public this weekend.
Fort Manoel on Manoel Island offers fabulous views of Valletta across Marsamxett Harbour as well as Fort Tigne, Sliema and Floriana.
The fort will be open on Sunday between 9am and 4pm with tours of the halls and the fortress as well as art exhibitions and much more.
Fort Manoel has undergone a massive facelift in recent years with more than €20 million invested by MIDI plc to restore the historic site to its former glory.
5 fantastic facts about Fort Manoel
1. Fort Manoel was built between 1723 and 1733 by the Knights of St John to protect Valletta.
2. It is considered a marvel of 18th century military engineering and was designed to house up to 500 soldiers.
3. The recently restored quadrangle was used as the main parade ground by the Royal Navy.
4. During the Second World War II, Manoel Island was used as a submarine base by the Royal Navy and was referred to as ‘HMS Talbot’ and ‘HMS Phoenicia’.
5. Fort Manoel starred in the US drama series Game of Thrones when it doubled as the steps of the Great Sept of Baelor in season one.
Read more: Fort Manoel Open Day