Teen Gets Both Legs & All Fingers Amputated After Bad Takeout

 

A 19-year-old was rushed to the hospital with what appeared to be food poisoning which resulted in both legs and all of his fingers being amputated.

 

 

The day before his admittance, the patient, a Massachusetts college student, had eaten leftover rice, chicken, and lo mein. He and a friend who had the same dinner both vomited shortly after eating.

 

 

While his companion recovered after throwing up once, the patient continued vomiting and experiencing stomach pain, as well as muscle pain, weakness, and chills that worsened over time. Chest pain, shortness of breath, headache, neck stiffness, hazy vision, and skin discolouration also became more prominent.

 

He had a fever of over 105 degrees Fahrenheit and an extraordinarily fast heart rate at the time, according to Newsweek. The darkening on his skin gradually turned into a splotchy, purplish rash that covered practically his entire body.

 

 

According to the case study, the tissue in his extremities eventually died, and physicians had to amputate both legs below the knee, as well as sections of all ten fingers. To treat the patient’s heart problems, they also implanted a temporary pacemaker.

 

In a study published in March 2021, doctors formally identified this patient with meningococcal purpura fulminant illness, a rare consequence of septic shock.

 

 

Rice may contain spores of Bacillus cereus, a microbe that can withstand cooking and thrives at room temperature, according to experts. If the bacteria is left out too long, it will reproduce and emit toxins that can induce vomiting and diarrhoea.