Zinedine Zidane has revealed he has returned to Real Madrid with ‘recharged batteries’ and ‘no regrets’.
The new manager confirmed he had signed a three-year contract with the Spanish giants.
The club has been reeling from last week’s Champions League exit at the hands of Ajax and is 12 points behind LaLiga leaders Barcelona.
Zidane told a press conference: ‘I have been living here in Madrid, doing my things. But I have recharged my batteries. I’m ready to coach this great club again.
‘When I left, it was the best decision for everyone. The team and the squad needed a change. There is nothing more. Nine months passed and the club called me again. I have no regrets at all.’
In a statement on Monday, Real confirmed the departure of head coach Santiago Solari.
It said: ‘Real Madrid wish to thank Solari for his work, commitment and the loyalty that he has always displayed towards this club, which is his home.
‘The board of directors also agreed on the appointment of Zinedine Zidane as head coach of Real Madrid with immediate effect for the remainder of the season and the next three campaigns, until 30 June 2022.’
Zidane will return to the Real dugout when they face Celta Vigo at the Bernabeu on Saturday.