Man killed in Marsascala fire hailed ‘a hero’

A man who died after trying to save his neighbours from their burning flat has been hailed ‘a true Maltese hero’.

Gordon Spiteri, 35, died in hospital after breathing in smoke during the horror blaze in Marsascala.

Malta Police told 89.7 Bay he became overwhelmed and trapped by the terrifying flames and thick smoke which engulfed the block of flats in Triq l-Aħmar.

The fire broke out at around 5.30am on the fourth floor of the six-storey block.

The residents of the flat where the fire started managed to get out safely and were taken to hospital for check-ups.

Mr Spiteri, who worked in a private hospital, had celebrated his 35th birthday the previous day.

Hundreds of social media users took to Facebook to pay tribute to him.

Dorianne Farruġia wrote: ‘True heros don’t wear capes!’

Alexander Camilleri posted: ‘Very sad news, wish and hope he will be remembered for his courage and braveness.’

Laura Gatt added: ‘A brave man. So sad. His family and friends must be proud of his heroic act.’

Simone Farrugia Bellia said: ‘Gordon, you were an amazing, kindhearted person. It was last Friday I last talked with you. I’m shocked by your loss.’

Trischia Falzon posted: ‘Still shocked. RIP to a beautiful soul Gordon Spiteri.’

Six people, including a three-year old-child were taken hospital and other residents were evacuated, the police said.

A Malta Police spokesman told 89.7 Bay: ‘From investigations carried out it appears that the fire broke-out in a bedroom of one of the apartments.

‘A 35-year-old man who lives in another apartment was found lying on the floor of the common area of the block.

‘He was taken to Mater Dei Hospital but unfortunately he was certified dead soon after.

‘Six people were taken to Mater Dei Hospital for medical treatment due to smoke inhalation.’

Read more: Malta Police Force

Read next: 10 inspiring Malta photographers to follow on Instagram

Bay Way Hoodie (Unisex)

Our limited-edition hoodie just dropped. Grab yours now!