Mosta man faces jail for Gozo ferry bomb hoax

A man who claimed there was a bomb hidden on a Gozo ferry is facing jail.

Ronald Mallia, 30, from Mosta, admitted ‘making a false threat’ in a hoax telephone call to the police last week.

Inspector Antonello Grech said the call had ’caused chaos’ and brought traffic to and from Gozo to a standstill, harming the island’s economy.

Malta Police said they received the bomb threat at around 11am last Tuesday morning.

As a precaution, extensive searches were carried out on the Gaudos ferry at Cirkewwa and the Ta’ Pinu boat at Mgarr, as well as in hundreds of cars which were waiting to board.

The safety measure led to ferry services being suspended as members of the Armed Forces of Malta bomb disposal unit carried out searches.

At one point queues stretched from Cirkewwa all the way to Mellieha.

Nothing suspicious was found.

The case was put off for sentencing.

Read more: Malta’s Triton Fountain to be turned off for a week

Bay Way Hoodie (Unisex)

Our limited-edition hoodie just dropped. Grab yours now!