Malta’s Prime Minister has said his thoughts are with the victims of the ‘terrible attack’ that left at least 13 people dead in Barcelona.
Joseph Muscat said ‘Malta stands with Spain against terror’ after a van ploughed into crowds in the busy street of Las Ramblas.
He joined other world leaders who reacted to the horrifying events that unfolded in the Spanish city on Thursday.
Responding to the attack, Malta’s foreign minister expressed his outrage at the atrocity.
Carmelo Abela told 89.7 Bay: ‘I was appalled to learn of the terrorist attack in Barcelona.
‘Our deepest sympathies go out to all the families and friends of the victims.
‘Our thoughts are also with those who were injured or witnessed this tragic event.
‘Whilst I would like to express our firm condemnation of this heinous, senseless and despicable act, we stand united with the government and the people of Spain and we assure them of our full solidarity and support during this difficult time.’
Maltese officials said there was ‘no information so far about any Maltese being among the victims’ of the Barcelona attack.
The Maltese Embassy in Madrid has set up a special helpline on +34 91 391 3061
Or you can email [email protected]