It’s been a scorching hot summer in Malta and Gozo but the weather is expected to take a turn for the worse this week.
Thunderstorms will sweep across the Maltese Islands with heavy rain and clouds likely on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday with a risk of isolated showers on Saturday.
The downpours and lightning may even cause travel disruption for a time as some roads are hit by flooding.
The Met Office in Luqa said the bad weather isn’t set to last too long, with sunshine returning by Sunday, the first day of autumn.
However, forecasters warned of a risk of floods on some roads and urged homeowners to prepare their properties for the wetter weather ahead.
Andrea Muscat from the respected Gozo Weather Page on Facebook said: ‘The first widespread heavy rain and thunderstorms of the season should affect the Maltese Islands from Wednesday onwards.’
He urged the public to prepare their homes for the autumn and winter months, including:
- Fix any cracks in the walls and roof
- Check to see if your roof’s coating needs to be resealed
- Take a look at your gutters to make sure that they drain well
- Check indoors for any signs of leakage
- Make sure that doors and windows seal properly
- Clear any gutters that take water away from your home
- Clear any debris around your home to prevent flooding and damage in strong wind
- Lower pool water levels before heavy rain
- Clean wells
- Prepare a place to shelter animals
Listen to 89.7 Bay for the latest weather updates and traffic news.
Read more: Gozo Weather Page