Dog left fighting for life after eating poison in Gozo

A dog has been left fighting for her life after eating slug pellets in Gozo.

18-month-old Rafa ingested the poison in a street near her home in Xaghra on Friday.

Soon after Rafa, a labrador and border collie mix, began frantically shaking and foaming at the mouth, before collapsing.

He is now being treated in intensive care by a vet.

Rafa’s owner hit out at the person who left the poison in the street.

She said: ‘It’s absolutely sickening what happened. I don’t understand why someone would do this. It doesn’t make sense.

‘It was terrifying. We didn’t know what was happening. He was really struggling. It was like he was having a seizure.’

A report has been filed at Victoria Police Station.

Meanwhile, at least 11 cats have been found dead in Zurrieq in a case of suspected poisoning.

The colony, which was cared for by a Zurrieq resident, lived in a public park in an area known as il-Gibjun.

Malta’s Animal Welfare Act bans the killing of domestic animals by anyone who is not a vet.

Bay Way Hoodie (Unisex)

Our limited-edition hoodie just dropped. Grab yours now!