Cristiano Ronaldo will not face rape charges in Las Vegas

Juventus star Cristiano Ronaldo will not face criminal charges over an alleged sexual assault in Las Vegas a decade ago.

Prosecutors said that after reviewing a new police investigation, they determined that claims of rape ‘cannot be proven beyond a reasonable doubt’ and ‘no charge will be filed’.

Kathryn Mayorga claimed that the former Manchester United and Real Madrid star, 33, sexually assaulted her in 2009 after they met at the Rain Nightclub in the Palms Hotel.

But on Monday it emerged that prosecutors will not file charges against the striker.

The footballer had always maintained that what happened in a hotel room with his accuser was consensual.

He responded to the accusation by tweeting: ‘Rape is an abominable crime that goes against everything that I am and believe in.’

Prosecutors said that they had dropped the case because Ms Mayorga did not initially name her alleged attacker or show police where an assault had taken place, preventing a forensic investigation.

She only named Ronaldo in August last year and the Clark County District Attorney’s Office said that in the intervening period CCTV footage showing interactions between the pair have been lost.

 

Bay Way Hoodie (Unisex)

Our limited-edition hoodie just dropped. Grab yours now!