Finding cartoons that kids love, watching educational videos, listening to nursery rhymes, answering all kinds of questions about maths, science or nature – all this has never been as easy as with YouTube Kids, now available also in Malta. It is now easier to find videos that kids like and can safely watch while giving parents simple tools to handpick channels and limit watch time, so their children can enjoy YouTube Kids in a family-friendly way.
Since its launch in the US in 2015, YouTube Kids has become one of the most popular children’s apps available on the market. This brand new app is available as a free download and can be enjoyed on one’s mobile phone, tablet or on the big screen using ChromeCast, Apple TV, game consoles or a smart TV.
Among the top five YouTube Kids features Maltese families will really appreciate are family-friendly content, partner trusted channels collections, user-friendly in terms of larger images and clearly visible icons among others, parent-approved content, and Screen time with its integrated timer.
TOP FIVE YOUTUBE KIDS FEATURES
- Family-friendly content: We created the YouTube Kids app with families in mind. The YouTube Kids app has a family-friendly environment where children can unleash their curiosity and imagination through channels and playlists organized into four categories: Emissions, Music, Learn, and Discover.
- User friendly: Larger images, colourful design and clearly visible icons make it easy for the little ones to use the app. When parents open the app for the first time, they learn how YouTube Kids filters and recommends content.
- Parent approved content: We have included a variety of features in the app that can help parents control their children’s experience the ‘approved content’ mode allows parents to specifically select individual videos and channels to make available to their child in the app. If parents would like to handpick what content their children are able to watch within the app, or certain videos or channels they would like to exclude – this is easy to control. Parents can choose whether or not to enable search mode.
- Screen time: With its integrated timer, parents can easily limit the viewing time for their children – for example by limiting a session to 30 minutes. The application will notify the child once his session is over.
- Partner Collections: Children can enjoy collections of trusted channels on a variety of topics ranging from arts and crafts to music, sports, learning and much more. Parents can easily select which of these collections and topics they want their children to access.
Gregory Dray, Director, Kids/Family & Education for YouTube in EMEA, told Bay that at YouTube they work very hard to make sure content available online is family-friendly, but no system is perfect. In the case where parents find a video that concerns them, they can easily report it, and help us to constantly improve the platform, adding that, “YouTube Kids has been built with parents and children in mind, enabling them to access great videos on topics they want to explore. It’s a safer, standalone streaming service aimed at kids and families, with a suite of parental controls to tailor a localized content experience, so that it’s right for each household”