Maltese 16-year-old Haley Bugeja was one of the ten female players picked by UEFA to keep a particular eye on in the coming year.
Bugeja became the youngest player and the first Maltese woman to hit a hat-trick in a UEFA qualifier, beating Julie Fleeting’s record back in 1997. Bugeja scored three of Malta’s qualifying wins in 2020!
Her move to Serie A club Sassuolo from Mgarr United has proven to be equally fruitful, where she scored twice on her Serie A debut against Napoli in September.
Bugeja, was the youngest female amongst all the players chosen. The full list of UEFA’s ten chosen women’s players to watch in 2020 can be found below:
- Vicki Becho (FRA – 17, Lyon)
- Julie Blakstad (NOR – 19, Rosenborg)
- Haley Bugeja (MLT – 16, Sassuolo)
- Lene Christensen (DEN – 20, KoldingQ)
- Svenja Fölmli (SUI – 18, Luzerne)
- Paulina Krumbiegel (GER – 20, Hoffenheim)
- Lauren James (ENG, 19 – Manchester United)
- Sveindís Jane Jónsdóttir (ISL – 19, Kristianstad on loan from Wolfsburg
- Eva Navarro (ESP – 19, Levante)
- Lena Oberdorf (GER – 19, Wolfsburg)