Robert Abela will be Malta’s next Prime Minister.
The former backbench MP won the Labour leadership contest on Saturday night with 57.9 per cent of the vote.
In his victory speech, he called on Malta to ‘work together for unity’.
Dr Abela will take over from Joseph Muscat on Monday after he is officially sworn-in as Prime Minister at a special ceremony at the Palace in Valletta.
But who is Robert Abela?
Here are 10 things you need to know:
1. Robert Abela has been an MP for less than three years
2. He is 42 and was born on December 7, 1977
3. He lives in Qormi but grew up in Marsascala
4. Robert is the son of Margaret and George Abela, who served as President of Malta from 2009 to 2014
5. He is married to Lydia, the secretary of Labour’s executive committee
6. The couple have one daughter, seven-year-old Giorgia Mae
8. He studied at the University of Malta and graduated as a lawyer in 2002
9. He’s a massive sports fan and used to play football for Hibs and Sliema
10. Robert only joined Twitter last month but hasn’t sent a single tweet yet.