Imagine you’re walking through one of Malta’s most historic towns, taking in the sights and sounds.
Then suddenly, you walk around a corner and boom!
The sky is filled with colour.
Light filters down through row after row of perfectly positioned rainbow umbrellas.
You’ve found Malta’s so-called Umbrella Street, and it’s pure magic.
The dazzling canopy of colour has arrived in Zabbar for the second year running.
Zabbar’s mayor Marc Vella Bonnici said more than a thousand brollies will ‘float’ in the air to celebrate summer and add another vibrant splash of colour to the town.
He told 89.7 Bay: ‘The installation was put up overnight on Tuesday, so we’re really looking forward to seeing the surprise and delight on people’s faces when they see the street transformed.’
Last year, the umbrellas were hung up for the first time and attracted thousands of people to the town. This year promises to be the same.
The umbrellas initiative has been inspired by the annual Agitagueda Art Festival in Portugal.
Similar installations have been shown all over the world, including Liverpool, Bath, Salisbury, Sardinia, Quebec, Toulouse, Dubai and Israel.
Here are 10 of the most spectacular shots of Zabbar’s Umbrella Street shared on Instagram.
1. Simply stunning, by Andrea Assenza
2. Jolly brollies, by Oliver Gatt
3. A splash of colour, by Andrea Assenza
4. Colourful umbrellas from above, by Ryan Formosa
5. Shadows in the street, by Silvia Pancucci
6. Postcard perfect by Paul Debono
7. Magical at night, by Pavle Lackovic
8. Mary Poppins would be proud, by Gigi Ziccheddu
9. Spectacular by Engel & Völkers Sara Grech Malta
10. Colourful skies by Ryan Formosa
Have you visited Zabbar’s Umbrella Street yet?